Friday, October 07, 2005

My (and my Dad's) Hero!


President Bush shakes hands with National Review founder William F. Buckley, Jr., left, after a tribute to the magazine and Buckley on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2005 in Washington. (AP)

I remember the first time I almost read "God And Man At Yale." I was about ten or eleven and I came across the book while perusing the shelves in my Dad's library. It sparked my interest so I curled up in Dad's big, worn leather chair and began to read. I was a few pages into the book when I realized that this is pretty boring stuff! (I was 10 or 11, come on) But just as I was going to get up and look for something else to read, my Dad walked in. He saw the book in my hands and his face just lit up. He sat down and regaled me with stories of WFB. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I thought it was boring so I spent the next 2 hours reading while my Dad worked on his business. When Dad finished his paperwork and went out back to start the grill, I quickly put the book away and fled the library. It wasn't until I went away to college that I finally read the entire book. Fortunately, this time I was old enough to understand and appreciate this wonderful book that made me feel ten feet tall in my Dad's eyes.